Sunday, March 16, 2014

Books I've Read This Week

Hilda and the Bird Parade by Luke Pearson is the first Hilda book I've ever read even though it is the third one released. I'd heard great things about the series but they are not exactly easy to pick up. Luckily I was given this one as a Christmas gift and I loved it.

Hilda lives in a world that is slightly magical and there is a question of exactly how much folks besides Hilda can see of the magical world. Based on events of the past few books Hilda and her Mom have had to move into the city where Hilda befriends a talking raven who she is helping regain his memory. They have adventures in the city as Hilda discovers more and more of the magical elements of the city. It reminds me quite a bit of Gaiman's Neverwhere in that way.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to going through it with my daughter as it is perfectly suited for kids of all ages. Just trying to decide if I should track down the first two books before diving into it.
Revival Volume 2: Live Like You Mean It by Tim Seeley and Mike Norton continue their rural noir series. I love the way this creepy mystery is unfolding. To recap live in a rural Wisconsin town is turned upside down when the dead come back to life. Although they are not mindless zombies, rather they can jump right back into their normal lives, or can they.

This really is a great book. I'm not a big fan of horror but this book is the right mix of humour, mystery and suspense.

No comments: